UC Merced has celebrated a number of milestones and achievements in Chancellor Leland’s eight years on campus. Here are 10 of her greatest hits, as compiled by the Division of External Relations.
- Merced 2020 Project – From approval to groundbreaking to opening, Chancellor Leland has built her legacy through UC Merced’s award-winning expansion.
- Carnegie R2 Classification – In 2016, UC Merced became the youngest university ever to receive this important designation for research universities.
- Rankings – During Leland’s tenure, UC Merced debuted in the US News rankings, earned high marks for social mobility and was named a top young university.
- University of the Year – In 2018, the university was recognized by Education Dive for its ambitious expansion and the social mobility of its students.
- Downtown Campus Center – The new administrative building in downtown Merced has been a catalyst for economic growth in the area.
- Women in leadership – Leland has shown great leadership in hiring women into key leadership positions, including deans, associate chancellors and others.
- Growth – Undergraduate enrollment has grown by nearly 3,000, graduate enrollment has more than doubled, and our alumni base surpassed 10,000 during Leland’s tenure.
- Major research centers – Under Leland’s leadership, the campus secured major grants from NASA, NSF, the UC and others to create new centers and institutes.
- New buildings – Even before the massive 2020 Project, Leland oversaw the opening of the Science and Engineering Building 2, Classroom and Office Building 2, and more.
- Community Engagement Classification – In 2015, UC Merced was recognized for its institutional emphasis on collaboration with the community in research and service.
Did we miss any? Do you have a favorite memory of Chancellor Leland? Send your thoughts to email@example.com.