UC Merced is committing to provide Los Angeles high school students the tools and guidance to attend college.
The university is embarking on a partnership with the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) and the federally funded Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) to increase the number of low-income students who graduate from high school prepared to succeed in postsecondary education and lifelong learning.
“This partnership aligns with UC Merced’s mission of making a college degree, and social mobility, available to all,” said Chancellor Juan Sánchez Muñoz. “Socioeconomic circumstances should never dictate the future of young people. This partnership will provide thousands of LAUSD students the possibility to fulfill their potential.”
Under this collaborative program, UC Merced will offer the opportunity for development and guidance to more than 5,000 low-income students in the classes of 2024 and 2025 across 35 LAUSD high schools.
“UC Merced walks the walk on increasing access, equity and justice,” LAUSD board member Mónica García said. “This historic agreement to create an organizational relationship that increases college and career opportunities for students is a model that invites replication. Thanks to Chancellor Muñoz and the UC Merced team, as well as LAUSD Superintendent Megan K. Reilly and Chief Academic Officer Alison Yoshimoto-Towery.”
The university will provide a partner match of more than $145,500. Additionally, UC Merced will offer professional development for counselors and staff members as well as the following programs and services for students and families:
- Leadership Weekend Experience for young boys
- Yosemite Leadership Program, a residential program in the national park
- Overnight campus visit program
- Enrollment coaches for LAUSD students who have submitted Statements of Intent to Register at UC Merced
- Peer Academic Leadership Conference
- Special LAUSD events for students and families to learn more about UC Merced
- Attendance at every LAUSD GEAR UP high school Parent Night
- A parent reception at UC Merced for admitted students
Students interested in joining the program should visit their school's GEAR UP Program office.
For Spanish version of article visit here.