Dear Campus Community,
As UC Merced welcomes its new and returning Bobcats to the university, I, too, am thrilled about my inaugural role at the university. While my role is new, I know that I stand on the important work done by so many of you before my arrival, and I thank you. I am truly grateful for the warm welcome I’ve received from so many.
UC Merced is a special place and I’m excited to partner with our stakeholders as we continue to grow and move forward as a premiere research institution dedicated to teaching, research and public service.
Since I arrived on campus, I’ve immersed myself in all things UC Merced. I’ve been meeting with campus community members and absorbing as much information as possible about our dynamic campus, its people, the region and greater community.
One immediate action I've taken — with support from the Office of Information Technology and Division of External Affairs — is to include pronoun specification in the official email signatures for faculty, staff and students. It's a meaningful step toward extending the courtesy of appropriate address to all members of our campus community.
But there is much more to do.
This is why I am hosting “Drop-Ins With the Chief Diversity Officer,” which will be held this fall at our various campus sites starting Sept. 13. The goal of these informal meetings is for me to meet you where you are and listen from there, too. I welcome faculty, staff and students to pop-in for a drop-in. Every formal or informal conversation is an opportunity for me to listen carefully, reflect critically and innovate creatively. I want to hear about your different experiences at UC Merced and what matters to you.
Please RSVP for the sessions you are planning to attend so that the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion can communicate any changes and ensure we have adequate space. The drop-in dates and locations are as follows:
· Friday, Sept. 13 — 3 to 4 p.m., Fresno Center, Merced Room
· Thursday, Sept. 19 — 3 to 4 p.m., Classroom and Office Building 2, Room 290
· Monday, Sept. 23 — Noon to 1 p.m., Castle Commerce Center, Redwood Conference Room
· Monday, Sept. 30 — 3 to 4 p.m., Downtown Campus Center, Room 370
· Thursday, Oct. 3 — 12:30 to 1:30 Castle Commerce Center, Redwood Conference Room
· Friday, Oct. 11 — 10 to 11 a.m., Fresno Center, Merced Room
· Monday, Oct. 14 — 3 to 4 p.m., Downtown Campus Center, Room 270
· Monday, Oct. 21 — 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Classroom and Office Building 2, Room 290
· Monday, Nov. 4 — 3 to 4 p.m., Downtown Campus Center, Room 270
· Wednesday, Nov. 6 — Noon to 1 p.m., Classroom and Office Building 2, Room 390
· Friday, Nov. 15 — Noon to 1 p.m., Fresno Center, Merced Room
· Monday, Nov. 18 — 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Castle Commerce Center, Redwood Conference Room
I look forward to meeting you and hearing what you have to say in the coming months.
Associate Chancellor and Chief Diversity Officer