Dear Campus Community,
Due to increasing concern regarding COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) and arising from our responsibility to keep our community healthy and safe, UC Merced is issuing this guidance for all international and domestic travel as well as a reminder of current University of California travel directives.
• All proposed travel to high-risk countries, including those with a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Warning Level 3 (widespread community transmission) or Level 2 (sustained community transmission), must be submitted in writing to Risk Manager Cindi Zimmerman for approval by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Gregg Camfield, prior to scheduling travel.
This is consistent with UC President Napolitano’s directive to avoid all non-essential travel to CDC Level 3 and 2 countries.
• All university-related international travel must be registered with UC Away (also called the UC International Travel Registry). UC Away is the University of California’s portal to register university-related and personal travel.
Registration enables the university to leverage benefits and protections in case an incident arises that requires medical care, evacuation, or other essential services.
• The university strongly discourages all non-essential domestic or international travel until further notice; this includes both university-related and personal travel.
• If you are traveling for university-related business, please consider whether you can participate remotely (e.g., via online platforms or teleconference) or delay travel to a later date.
• If you decide to travel outside the United States, please be aware that the CDC may issue new international travel warnings without notice, potentially resulting in limited or delayed flights and possible quarantine upon re-entry.
• The university strongly recommends that all domestic travel be registered with UC Away; this includes both university-related and personal travel.
For university-related, domestic travel booked through UC Connexxus, trips are automatically registered with UC Away. However, travel booked through other means will need to be manually registered with UC Away.
• For personal travel, faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to register with UC Away.
• Please ensure that your family and friends are aware of your travel plans and how to reach you.
• Anyone who has currently booked or is planning to book any travel, international or domestic, should consult with her or his supervisor as soon as possible.
We ask that everyone remain informed about measures to prevent infection and regularly monitor the most up-to-date UC Merced information.
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost