March 30, 2020
To: All faculty and TAs
March 30, 2020
Today we move forward with instruction in alternative ways many have not explored or experienced before. There are many challenges in doing so. With this in mind — and consideration that instructional spaces including general assignment classrooms and instructional labs are locked down until we hear classes and events can begin meeting in-person again — a procedure has been developed to enable and assist instructors with producing remote teaching material.
Four classrooms in COB2 (110, 130, 140 and 170) and the instructional labs in SE1 and SE2 have been designated for this purpose. These rooms are not for in-person instruction and additional individuals beyond the instructor are limited to only those directly assisting instructors in the production of instructional content.
These designated spaces will be available for reserved use from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday effective Monday, March 30.
Please note, instructors will first work with IT classroom support staff and work through existing resources to develop remote teaching material. If classroom or instructional lab access for use of the technology for producing remote teaching material is deemed necessary, IT will facilitate reserving space. Please follow the steps here to initiate the process:
- Instructor contacts firstname.lastname@example.org at least one work day in advance;
- Registrar’s Office will facilitate coordination between the instructor and IT classroom support staff;
- IT will guide instructors through existing resources here: https://it.ucmerced.edu/EdContinuity ;
- If access to a campus room is still needed, IT will create a Service Now ticket and set up an appointment (not to exceed four hours) to coordinate access to the designated room and assist in setting up the technology with the instructor;
- The Registrar’s Office will create a calendar appointment on Astra schedule and will notify campus units including facilities, custodial, police and emergency response about the room usage;
- Custodians will be scheduled to clean the room after each use.
This current process can and will be adapted with changing needs. Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost